Haddock & Minty Mushy Pea Fishcakes with Triple-cooked ChipsDelicious haddock & minty mushy pea fishcakes with the best chips I have ever tasted. Comfort food at its best!
Prep time: 20 minutesCooking time: 45 minutes
IngredientsFor the fishcakes:500g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled & diced400g haddock fillet300ml milk1 tbsp mint jelly300g tin of mushy peas2 tbsp plain flour1 egg, beaten8-10 tbsp dried breadcrumbsSunflower oil, for frying
For the triple-cooked chips:6 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled & cut into chunky chips2 litres of vegetable oil, for fryingSea salt to serve
To serve:1 lemon, cut into wedges3 tbsp mayonnaiseSea salt & freshly ground pepper
1. For the fish cakes, in a large pan of boiling water add the diced potatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes until tender.
2. Place the haddock into a pan and pour over the milk, cover and bring to the boil. Now remove from the heat and allow to cook through for at least 5 minutes.
3. Drain the diced potatoes and return to the pan allowing to cool slightly. Now add the mint jelly and season to taste and mash together. Remove the fish from the milk and flake into the potatoes. Add the mushy peas and mix through. Shape the mixture into four even sized cakes.
4. Dust the cakes lightly with seasoned flour. Now place the beaten egg in a bowl and dip the cakes. Place the breadcrumbs onto a plate and the dip the cakes into the breadcrumbs. Now place in the refrigerator whilst you prepare the chips.
5. For the chips, put the potatoes into a large pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 6-8 minutes until tender.
6. Drain the potatoes, return to the pan, replace the lid and gently fluff up the potatoes.
7. Heat the oil to 150°C in a deep fryer, fry for 5-8 minutes until cooked but not brown. Remove from the fryer and dry thoroughly with kitche...