Idli is a famous South Indian Recipe which is now popular throughout India. Idli is a really healthy dish which does not have any oil and the process of cooking is steaming which makes it more healthier. You can also give idli to your toddler or preschooler kid.
Making of idli does not take much time however you need to do preparation in advance. You can also prepare soft idlis at home and here is the recipe for you. Serve idli with coconut chutney or sambar. Recently, I have purchased a multipurpose kadai cum idli steamer from Pigeon which is quite good.
Idli / How to make Idli
Idli rice/Dosa Rice - 2 cups
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Aval / Flattened Rice/ Poha - 1/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil - few drops for greasing the plate
1. 1. Wash rice twice or thrice and soak in water for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Now take urad dal, poha and methi seeds in another bowl and wash with water and soak for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Drain the water from urad dal bowl and grind it into a smooth paste. If require add water ( 2 to 3 tablespoon). Transfer the paste in a bowl.
4. Now drain the water from rice and add 1/2 cup water and make smooth paste. If require you can add little water in between. If your mixer jar is small in size you can do this method in two batches.
5. Transfer the ground rice into the urad dal paste and mix together.
6. Now allow the batter to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.
7.Next day morning add salt in the batter and mix well.
8. Now grease the idli plates and place 1 ladle batter in to each hole. In the mean while boil water in idli steamer or pressure cooker and keep the idli stand inside it. And steam cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Take them out and serve with chutney.