Sometimes when I make a smoothie, I want a reeeeeally green, green smoothie! And one of the best ways to bump up the ‘greenness’ in a juice or smoothie is to add a teaspoon of Nature’s Way Superfoods Flavoured Spirulina. Why bother, you ask" Well, here’s some facts about spirulina that may explain why it’s so awesome…
– Spirulina is approx. 60% protein and contains all the essential amino acids, as well as being high in iron, making it a great energy booster!
– the protein in Spirulina is superior to other plant-based proteins (eg. legumes) – perfect for vegetarians and vegans
– it’s high in chlorophyll, making it great for cleansing the blood
– it is rich in gamma-Linolenic acid, (also found in evening primrose, chia, hemp and linseeds), which has anti-inflammatory and cholesterol lowering properties
– it is full of anti-oxidants, making it useful in the fight against free radicals, and helping to support a healthy immune system
Lots of good stuff, huh!
The only thing that has made me hesitant to add spirulina to my smoothies in the past is the flavour – it can sometimes taste a bit like grass clippings! But I was recently sent some Nature’s Way Superfoods Natural Tropical Flavoured Spirulina to try, and this one actually tastes delicious! Woo hoo!!!! It has a sweet, pineapple flavour (sweetened with natural stevia so there’s no added sugar) and it’s great for adding to smoothies and juices, or even to fruit ice creams and sorbets.
For a quick, refreshing, energy boost, you can just add 1 teaspoon to a glass of water; or even better, add to a glass of mineral water for a green fizzy drink – the kids love it!
So here’s a super green tropical smoothie recipe I made up the other day. If you’re new to green smoothies, don’t be scared – I tried this recipe on a lady who had ne...