The Best Coq au VinA delicious and rustic French classic! Red wine, brandy, pancetta, shallots, mushrooms, herbs & a pinch of chilli what a wonderful combination for chicken!
Serves 4Prep time: 15 minutesCooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients50g butter200g pancetta or smoked bacon, sliced8 small shallots, peeled250g button mushrooms3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped1.5kg chicken thighs with bone, seasoned with salt and pepper4 tbsp brandy3 sprigs fresh thyme250ml chicken stock500ml hearty dry red wine1 tbsp tomato pureePinch of dried chilli flakes2 tbsp butter2 tbsp plain flourCrusty bread to serve
Method1. In a large frying pan or wok melt 25g/1 oz of the butter and add the pancetta and fry until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the shallots to the pan and sauté until slightly browned, about 5 minutes and then add the mushrooms and garlic, sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Now add the remaining 25g of butter and melt in the pan. In batches add the chicken and cook on both sides until browned, about 10 minutes. Return all the chicken to the pan and remove from the heat. Add the brandy and flambé. Remove the chicken from the pan.
4. Add the thyme, stock, wine, tomato puree and chilli flakes to the pan and bring to the boil. Return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. During the last 10 minutes add the pancetta and vegetables.
5. Remove the chicken, pancetta and vegetables from the pan with a slotted spoon and cover with foil. Also remove the pan of broth from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
6. In a small bowl mash the butter and flour together to make a buerre manié. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil. Add ...