Salad NicoiseA wonderful summer salad! This dish is also just as delicious with large flakes of tinned tuna!
Serves 4Prep time: 15 minutesCooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients12 new potatoes, halved150g green beans, trimmed1 red onion, peeled & finely sliced250g cherry plum tomatoes, halved12 black olives2 baby gem lettuce, trimmed & torn into pieces10 basil leaves4 eggs, hard boiled & quartered4 x 150g tuna steaks2 tbsp extra virgin olive oilSea salt & freshly ground pepper
For the dressing:150ml extra virgin olive oil2 tsp Dijon Mustard1 garlic clove, peeled & finely chopped3 tbsp white wine vinegar½ lemon, juice only8 anchovy fillets, drained & chopped1 tbsp capersSea salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Bring to the boil a pan of salted water and add the new potatoes, boil for 6 minutes. Add the beans and boil for a further 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain the vegetables and place in a bowl of iced water.
2. For the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients, season to taste.
3. Place the green beans, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, olives, lettuce and basil into a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss.
4. Divide the salad between 4 plates and then add the boiled eggs.
5. For the tuna steak, preheat a ridged griddle pan over a medium heat. Brush the tuna steaks with the oil and season. Sear the tuna for 1 ½ - 2 minutes on each side. The centres will be slightly pink.
6. Cut the tuna steak in half and arrange both halves on top of the salad. Enjoy!