Beef stroganoff recipe
Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has become popular around the world. Made with tender beef strips, a creamy mushroom sauce, and rich egg noodles, it’s a comfort food favourite that is perfect for family dinners or entertaining. With its origins tracing back to the 19th century, Beef Stroganoff has undergone many variations through the years, but this recipe sticks to the traditional method of preparation.
- 1 lb sirloin steak, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 12 oz egg noodles
- Season the beef strips with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted and the skillet is hot, add the beef strips. Sear the beef strips for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove the beef strips from the skillet and set aside. Cooking time: 6-8 minutes.
- Add the sliced onions to the same skillet used for the beef strips. Cook the onions for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent. Add in minced garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Cooking time: 5-7 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of beef broth, 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard, and 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and allow it to simmer for 5-7 minutes until the liquid has thickened slightly. Cooking time: 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream and 2 tbsp of butter until the butter has melted and the sour cream is fully incorporated into the sauce. Cooking time: 1-2 minutes.
- Return the beef strips to the skillet and stir them into the sauce. Simmer the mixture for an additional 2-3 minutes until the beef is heated through and the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Cooking time: 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook egg noodles according to package instructions until al dente. Once the noodles are cooked, drain the water and return them to the pot. Cooking time: as per package instructions.
- Serve the egg noodles topped with the beef stroganoff mixture, and garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Beef Stroganoff is a classic dish that is easy to make and perfect for family dinners or entertaining. This recipe uses traditional ingredients like beef strips, mushrooms, and a creamy sour cream sauce for a delicious and comforting meal. Make sure you follow the cooking times and instructions carefully to get the perfect result every time. Serve with fresh parsley for a pop of colour and flavour.