Ocean pie recipe
Ocean Pie Recipe
If you are in the mood for a hearty and satisfying meal that is full of flavour, then an ocean pie is the perfect dish for you. Packed with succulent seafood and topped with fluffy mashed potatoes, this dish is perfect for a cozy night in or a dinner party with friends and family. Follow this recipe to create a mouth-watering ocean pie that is sure to impress.
- 500g mixed seafood (such as cod, salmon, prawns, and mussels)
- 300ml milk
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 750g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 50g butter
- 50ml milk
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan)/Gas Mark 6.
2. Add the diced potatoes to a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until they are tender. Drain the potatoes and mash them with 50g of butter and 50ml of milk. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. In a separate large saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of butter over a medium heat.
4. Add the diced onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are softened.
5. Stir in 2 tbsp of plain flour and cook for a further 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk and vegetable stock, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
6. Add the tomato puree, fresh thyme leaves, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
7. Add the mixed seafood to the saucepan and gently stir until the seafood is coated in the sauce. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes or until the seafood is cooked through.
8. Transfer the seafood and sauce into a large baking dish.
9. Spoon the mashed potato on top of the seafood, using a fork to create a rough texture on the surface. This will help it to crisp up in the oven.
10. Bake the ocean pie in the oven for around 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy.
11. Remove the ocean pie from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley before serving. This dish is best served with buttered green beans or peas and a crisp white wine.
There you have it – a delicious ocean pie recipe that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you are cooking for yourself or a group of friends, this dish is sure to be a hit. Bon appétit!