Sausage & ricotta penne recipe
Sausage & ricotta penne is a classic Italian-American recipe that’s perfect for any night of the week. It’s a comforting, filling pasta dish that combines spicy Italian sausage with savory ricotta cheese. The dish gets its lovely texture because the ricotta melts into the pasta, creating a creamy consistency. Plus, the red pepper flakes give it a little kick, which pairs well with a glass of red wine.
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28-oz can of peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or more if desired.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or parsley leaves for garnishing
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook for 8-10 minutes or until it is al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and set aside. (Time: 8-10 minutes)
- While the pasta is boiling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until warm. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they are soft and fragrant. (Time: 2-3 minutes)
- Add the Italian sausage, red pepper flakes, and salt to the skillet. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. (Time: 8-10 minutes)
- Drain the excess fat from the skillet, then add the hand-crushed tomatoes to the skillet. Stir gently to combine and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. (Time: 5 minutes)
- Add the cooked penne to the skillet and stir to combine, allowing everything to cook together for a few minutes. The penne will absorb some of the tomato sauce and flavor. (Time: 2-3 minutes)
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the ricotta cheese to the skillet and stir until it’s well combined. The heat from the pasta will help soften and melt the ricotta cheese, creating a creamy consistency. (Time: 1-2 minutes)
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley to the skillet, and stir until everything is well combined. (Time: 1-2 minutes)
- Transfer the pasta to a serving dish and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy! (Time: Less than a minute)
Now that you have a delicious recipe of sausage and ricotta penne, you can enjoy this easily-prepared pasta dish with your family or friends.